By Nick Nilsson
Author of 30-Second Ab-Solution
Try a few of these psychological mind games and enjoy the confusion of everyone around you.
It's just like facing the wrong way in an elevator and looking at the other people instead of the ceiling or wall.
1. Fill an old vodka bottle with water and use it during a workout. People will wonder if that's "your secret weapon" to great results!
2. Wear a helmet. I think you'll find that people will give you a lot more room when you're lifting when you walk in with head protection (especially when you do overhead exercises!).
3. Pick up the 2-pound nose-itcher dumbbells and proceed to lift them like you're doing the hardest set in your life. Scream and strain like you're pushing it to the limit. The larger you are, the more effective this one will be.
4. Load a tremendous amount of weight onto the bench press bar, e.g. 500 to 600 pounds. Make a big production with your preparation, lie back on the bench, then, just as you are about to lift the bar off the rack, your watch alarm (previously set by you, of course) should go off. Look at your watch, shake your head, unload the bar then move onto your next exercise. The smaller you are, the more effective this one will be!
5. Do actual squats in the squat rack. You may have to wait for a few people to finish their barbell curls but the strange looks you get when you start squatting in the squat rack will be well worth it.
6. Wear an electric ab-training belt with an extension cord duct-taped to it. Plug yourself in just before each set.
7. Have your workout partner bring an old remote control from home. When he presses a button, do a rep. When hits "fast forward" go faster. When he hits "pause" hold the weight where it is. Just make sure he doesn't hit the "eject" button, especially after a hard set!
8. Count your reps out loud starting from 100, e.g. your first rep, say "101", then "102", etc.
9. Bring a suitcase to the gym instead of a duffel bag. The little rolling ones with the pop-up handles are good. Also, a really huge one that you can fit a person comfortably in will work.
10. Do a set of Rolling Dumbbell One-Arm Handstand Push-Ups. Or Turkish Get-Ups. Or Triceps Extensions on the Leg Press Machine.
11. Use sandwich bags instead of workout gloves.
And when you walk into the gym pulling a huge suitcase, carrying a liquor bottle in your hand, with a helmet on your head, two sandwich bags instead of gloves, and an extension cord hanging from your waist, you'll know that you've probably taken this article a little too seriously...
More From Fitstep.com
|Stink Training for Bringing Up Weak Bodyparts|
|Shred Your Back and Chest With a Superset of In-Set Supersets|
|How I Got My Butt Kicked By a 68 Year-Old Woman|
|Laser-Target Your Lower Abs With See-Saw Leg Raises|